In my busy, chaotic, life I have found that doing nothing is very challenging. Honestly, I’m not good at doing nothing and struggle even attempting it. I find that, often, I try to do nothing but something always pops up to interrupt my nothing. I willing turn away the nothing in exchange for too much of everything else. This weekend, however, I took it upon myself to actively do nothing.
Here is the recipe I found for my perfect nothingness.
1. Get away from the city – We purchased an RV recently, and this weekend we took it to the Lake of the Ozarks.
2. Unplug from electronics – I put my phone in a drawer.
3. Build a nice pit fire.
4. Pull up a chair and stare aimlessly into the fire for a few hours while the small one naps.
5. Gather a large pile of leaves and lay in them while mini-me has the time of her life running, throwing and burying me in the leaves…for free!
6. Have a glass or two, or three of wine.
7. If the brain starts wandering into, where, what, who or why….focus back on the flames of the fire and shut brain off again.
I cannot tell you how AMAZING it was to turn off my brain, escape from the chaos of running errands and organizing. The level of anxiety I usually have disappeared, the soul took a deep breath and exhaled with peaceful calmness. I look forward to escaping more often to do nothing.
What do you do to perfect the art of doing nothing?